Our firm has a broad practice in federal and state taxation. Our practice includes transactional tax planning, individual income and estate tax planning, tax controversies, and planning for tax-exempt entities.
As bond counsel, we represent municipalities, school districts, and other governmental entities issuing tax-exempt bonds. We work closely with our corporate, real estate, banking, employee benefits, and healthcare sections to provide clients with comprehensive representation.
In addition to direct legal services, our attorneys also provide regular updates via newsletters on recent developments in tax law changes.
Major Practice Areas
- Estate and gift tax planning
- Tax counsel for business entities
- Tax counsel for tax exempt entities, including representation in obtaining tax exempt status
- Transactional tax counsel
- 1031 tax-deferred exchanges
- Bond counsel for governmental entities issuing tax-exempt bonds.
Transactional Tax Planning, Including Corporate Mergers, Acquisitions, Redemptions, and General Corporate Tax Planning
Our attorneys advise clients on transactions such as stock sales, mergers, corporate reorganizations and other corporate transactions. We also render advice on transactions involving S corporations.
Tax Planning for Start-Up Companies
Our attorneys advise clients desiring to form start-up companies on such matter as:
- Tax planning for the selection of a business entity from both a state law and federal income tax perspective
- Tax planning for corporation issues
- Development of exit strategies for holders of closely held and publicly traded stock
Individual Income and Estate Tax Planning
Our attorneys work closely with individual clients and their accountants and financial advisors on individual income tax planning and estate tax planning. Recent illustrative experience includes:
- Advice and structuring of like-kind exchanges
- Planning for qualified retirement plan and IRA distributions
- Tax planning for real estate transactions through partnerships, LLCs and other entities
- Use of business entities for succession management purposes
- Designation of exit strategies for owners of closely held companies
Partnership and LLC Tax Planning and Formation
We provide many services in the organization and operation of partnerships and LLCs. Recent illustrative experience includes:
- Tax planning for transactions involving partnerships and LLCs including distributions of assets to partners and redemption of partnership interests
- Formation of family partnerships and LLCs as part of estate planning and asset protection objectives
- Use of LLCs as organizational form for start-up companies
- Organization of LLCs and limited partnerships to facilitate investment in real estate
Planning for Tax-Exempt Entities
Our attorneys have experience in the formation of tax-exempt entities. This includes formation of entities at the state level, seeking determination letters from the IRS for tax-exempt status, and seeking exemption from state sales taxes and the like.