The history of Orgain Bell & Tucker began at the turn of the 20th century, when William E. Orgain, a University of Texas graduate and former Texas legislator, moved to the burgeoning town of Beaumont. Orgain, along with thousands of others, came to Beaumont on the heels of the 1901 Spindletop oil boom—the largest oil discovery and economic game-changer of our time.
Unlike those who sought their future in oil, however, Orgain had his eye on land litigation. By the time the Spindletop field had its second oil boom in 1925, Orgain had built not only a solid legal practice but also a respectable reputation. For example, in 1941, he served on the Texas Supreme Court committee that wrote the original Texas Rules of Civil Procedure.
Orgain expanded his practice in 1925 by joining with Major T. Bell. Bell, a native of Tenaha, was also a University of Texas graduate. Bell began his career as an East Texas district attorney. Bell was a well-respected lawyer and passionate friend. His legal acumen helped earn his election as president of the State Bar of Texas and appointment as a member of the Texas Civil Judicial Council.
The practice expanded again in 1933, with the addition of John G. Tucker. Tucker grew up from town to town in a Northeastern military family. After attending Harvard Law School, Tucker began his career by sticking a pin in a Texas map, which brought him to Port Arthur. Tucker then moved his practice to Beaumont, where he became highly respected both inside and outside the legal profession.
In 1945, the then-existing partnership changed its name to Orgain, Bell, & Tucker. Today, the firm proudly continues to carry their names, reputation, and professional philosophy for excellence.