- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas -- Doctorate of Jurisprudence, 1985.
- University of North Texas, Denton, Texas – Masters of Business Administration in Banking and Finance, 1980.
- Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas – Bachelors of Business Administration in Economics, 1978 (Magna Cum Laude).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom -- Diploma in International Arbitration, 2014.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 5th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Courts:
- E.D. Texas
- S.D. Texas
- N.D. Texas
Michael Truncale has represented numerous clients in state courts throughout Texas and in the federal courts in the Eastern, Southern, and Northern Districts of Texas. He handles cases involving products liability, premises liability, energy law, toxic tort, health care liability, governmental liability, transportation, mass tort, commercial litigation. Michael serves as local counsel in Patent Litigation and other types of litigation in the Eastern District of Texas, as well as in appellate matters in Southeast Texas.
In his ADR practice, Michael received a Diploma in International Arbitration from the Chartered Institute of Arbitration (CIArb), and he was made a Fellow in the CIArb. He serves on the Advisory Board for the Institute of Transnational Arbitration of the Center for American and International Law (CAIL), and he is a member of the Houston International Arbitration Club.
In recognition of his background and experience, Michael is listed as an arbitrator and mediator by FedArb, Inc., and the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC). He is also on the list of arbitrators of the Institute of Energy Law of CAIL. Since receiving his certification from the A.A. White Dispute Resolution Institute in 1992, he has served as a mediator in over 2,000 cases in the Eastern District of Texas and in state courts throughout Texas.
Michael works in both the Houston and Beaumont offices.
Distinctions and Honors:
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy (American Bar Association 2015-current).
- Board Certified, Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1991-current).
- A/V Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow (2014-current).
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow (2002 – current).
- Super Lawyers, a Thompson Reuters publication (2007-2016)
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer as published in issues of The Austin American-Statesman, Texas Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, The National Law Journal and The American Lawyer.
- Litigation Council of America, Fellow (2007-current).
- College of the State Bar (1991-2015).
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
- National Law Journal, Recognized as receiving one of the Top Ten Defense Verdicts in 1997 for defending Texaco Pipeline Company in litigation related to the fires and floods on the San Jacinto River in 1994.
- Mediator, Certified in Federal Courts since 1994 and in State Courts since 1992.
- Texas Pattern Jury Charge Committee: Negligence, Products Liability, and Medical Malpractice, Contributing author and member (2004 – current, Publication Editions 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016).
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association, President (2014-2015), President-Elect (2013-2014), Secretary/Treasurer (2012-2013), Board Member (2010-current), Member (2003 – current).
- Jefferson County Bar Association, President (2005-2006), President Elect (2004-2005), Director (1993-1994, 2002-2007).
- The Michelle Mehaffy Chapter of the American Inns of Court, President (2008-2010), Master (1996-current).
- The Federalist Society, Houston Lawyers’ Chapter, Member (2014-current).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK), Certificate of Membership, Membership No.: 33025, (2014 – current).
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Member of Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators (2015-current).
- Institute of Energy Law of the Center of American and International Law, Member of List of Arbitrators (2014- current).
- Federal Arbitrators, Inc., Member of Approved Panel of Participating Commercial Arbitrators and Mediators (2014-current).
- Member of Advisory Board, Institute of Transnational Arbitration of the Center for American and International Law (2014-current).
- Houston International Arbitration Club, Member (2015).
- Houston Bar Association, ADR, Litigation, and International Sections (2014-current)
- American Bar Association, Member (1985 – current).
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member (1985 – current).
- Defense Research Institute, Member (1992 – current).
- Jefferson County Pro Bono Board, President (2005-2006), Director (2005-2007).
- Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association, President (1993-1994), President-Elect (1992-1993), Vice-President (1991-1992), Director (1989-1991), Teen Court Board (1993-1994).
- Jefferson County Bar Association, CLE Committee, Co-Chairman (1992-1993), Chairman (2003-2004), Lawyer-Client Reconciliation Committee, Chairman (2004-2005).
- Texas Young Lawyers Association, Law Focused Education Committee (1993-1994).
- Local Bar Services Committee, State Bar of Texas, Chair (2007-2009), Committee Member (2005-2009).
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Alumni Advisory Council, Board Member (1991 – 1997); Chairman of the Admissions and Student Relations Committee (1994 – 1996), Law School Class of ’85 Gift Chair (1994-1995).
- Southern Methodist University, President, Student Bar Association 1984-1985, Moot Court Instructor (1985).
- State Bar of Texas, Member (1985 – current), Hurricane Rita/Katrina Relief Task Force (2005-2006).
- American Bar Association, Commercial Transportation Committee, Member of Leadership Board (2013-current).
- Character and Fitness Committee, State Bar Admissions and Examinations, Member of Dallas Review Committee (1984-1985).
Presentations and Articles:
- Contributing author and member of State Bar Committee, Texas Pattern Jury Charge: Negligence, Products Liability, and Medical Malpractice, (2004 – current, Publication Editions 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014).
- Lecturer in England and across the United States on effective trial techniques, case evaluation, arbitration, federal procedure, and successful mediation strategies.
- Speaker on American court system and litigation procedures and participant in mock patent jury trial China-U.S. Judicial Cooperation Summit in Beijing sponsored by the China Collaborative Innovation Center of Judicial Civilization and China University of Political Science & Law, 2014.
- Speaker on environmental law at the U.S.—China Food Safety and Environmental Protection Judicial Symposium sponsored by the Jiangsu Provincial Higher People’s Court and the Changzhou Intermediate People’s Court, 2014.
- Keynote Speaker, University of North Texas College of Business, Eagle Business Network, “Higher Education: Gateway to a Global Economy.” (2015).
- Commencement Speaker, Lamar University, Texas State University—San Marcos, Sam Houston State University, Lamar State College–Orange, Lamar State College–Port Arthur, Lamar Institute of Technology (2008-2011).
- Constitution Day Lecturer, Lamar University/LIT (2013).
- Keynote Speaker, Becoming Men of Excellence, Men’s Conference at Lamar University (2009).
- Keynote Speaker, Nationalization Ceremony, United States Courts for the Eastern District of Texas (1996).
- Federal Judicial Selection Committee (Appointed by Senator Hutchison/Senator Cornyn 2008-2012).
- Cornyn/Cruz Federal Judicial Selection Committee (Appointed by Senator Cornyn/Senator Curz 2012-current).
- Regent, Texas State University System (Appointed by Governor Rick Perry–2007-2011).
- Board member, Texas Pre-paid Higher Education Tuition Board (appointed by governor Greg Abbott–2016-2021)
- Member of Board of Directors, Beaumont Chamber of Commerce (2016-2019)
- Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Chair (2011).
- State Republican Executive Committee, Committeeman for Senate District 4 (elected to serve four consecutive terms 2006-2014).
- Candidate for United States Congress, Texas Congressional District 14 (2012).
- Beaumont Chamber of Commerce, Governmental Affairs Committee (2014-current).
- Delegate, Republican National Convention (2008) and Convention of the Republican Party of Texas (2004-2016).
- Republican Chair of Precinct 104, Jefferson County, (2003-2005).
- Past President, Symphony of Southeast Texas
- Past President, Beaumont Heritage Society, President
- Trustee, Houston Grand Opera (1996-2000)
- Board Member, Julie Rogers Gift of Life (2008-2011).
- Board Member, Family Services Administration (1988-1994), Pro-Bono Counsel (1994-current).
- Commissioner, Sister City Commission for City of Beaumont (1989-1994).
- Better Business Bureau’s Consumer Education Foundation, Board Member (1986-1988).
- Facilitator, Economic Summit II, City of Beaumont (1987).
- Lay Eucharistic Minister and Church Leader